Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Cure for PGSD By Amy Scofield

**published in the Manhattan College Quadrangle


If you are a senior with no clue what to do about life after Manhattan College, the first annual Volunteer Expo on October 20th may be an excellent cure for your Post Graduate Stress Disorder.
The expo, held in Smith auditorium from 3-6 p.m., is hosted by Campus Ministry and Social Action, who hope to help students make connections in the volunteer world and to also make them aware of a book called Response2010. This book is available in Cornerstone and lists many different volunteer organizations that will also be present at the fair, including Lasallian Volunteers and the Alliance for Catholic Education, among many others.
“It’s a little more casual than the career fair,” said Sandra Sanchez, who helped to coordinate the event. “But still, don’t show up in your pajamas.”
The expo also differs from the career fair because while students are encouraged to bring their resumes, it is not necessary because the organizations will have applications available. It is open to all students of any major, year or interest. “It’s all about using your skills and what you know,” said Sanchez.
Those who find themselves giving volunteering after graduation a second thought may be surprised to find that it’s a lot like a regular job. Generally, the two have similar schedules and volunteers will often receive room and board as well as a stipend and often benefits as well.
MC grad of 2009 Mary Morgan volunteers for the Colorado Vincentian Volunteers. She deferred a job at Pricewaterhouse Coopers for a year and couldn’t be happier. “I have learned more about myself, my beliefs and my place in this world. I have also learned about sociology, economics, global issues, management, psychology and more, which I feel will help me in future jobs…living off a stipend has taught me how to really prioritize my spending and how to live a simpler life. My clients have taught me patience, true gratitude and humility,” Morgan wrote in a letter to CMSA.
“Going to something like this [last year] would have helped me a lot with my decision. Once I talked to the directors of my program, even though it was only on the phone, I knew even more that it was a place where I wanted to volunteer,” Morgan wrote.
Sanchez takes a similar viewpoint of the expo. “We want people to know that the book [Response2010] exists, but we want to go from the book to the people.” 
Senior Dan Johnson is one person planning to attend. “I think it’s a great idea to have this event on campus because it gives students the opportunity to see various options they have after they graduate,” he said. “Plus with the economy the way it is, volunteering for a year or two can also be a good fiscal decision.”

No comments:

Post a Comment